It should come as no surprise given my past efforts that I was less than prepared for December 1st. My friend Laura always has these fantabulous ideas for Advent Calendars. And because I can’t get my act together I did not order one of the awesome Advent-in-a-bag kits that Maggie put together to raise money for charity. So, as usual I was ready to walk into a FAIL.
However, I am nothing if not resourceful. A little messy, but always fun.
So I found myself desperately in need of two advent calendars a service based calendar and a fun trinket based treat calendar. Mimi brought us a chocolate one- so if Ralph needs a treat he’s in luck.
Service Based Advent Calendar
What you will need:
- Red, Green and Purple Construction Paper
- 24 Acts that are appropriate to your child’s age
- Cut twelve trips of red and twelve strips of green construction paper
- Cut one strip of purple construction paper
- Write one act on each construction paper strip with Sharpie
- Staple them together like a construction paper chain from elementary school
Trinket Based Advent Calendar.
What you will need:
- 24 Brown Paper Lunch Sacks
- 24 Trinkets (aka Junk) to go in each bag
- Red and Green Construction Paper Tags- numbered 1-24
- Clothes Pins
- Line up the 24 bags and place one trinket inside each.
- I used leftover red and green construction paper strips to make rectangles and wrote 1-24 on each with a Sharpie.
- Fold over stuffed bag and staple number on each sack.
- Hang twine.
- Hang bags from twine with clothes pin in order.
Please ignore how dirty my counter is. Gross.
Now internet I could lie to you and tell you that I finished it all easy peasy. But I didn’t. Gia has been using the brown lunch sacks in her kitchen and we only had fourteen. So, I have to get some more in the morning to be completely finished.
I decided to hang them both in her game room. I want to make sure that when we are playing “Elf on the Shelf”, watching Christmas movies, chatting about the Christmas Mouse and Santa Clause that there is some sort of constant reminder of the reason for the season.
So there you have it. Two advent calendars *almost* done in less than forty-five minutes with *almost* spending any money (for full disclosure I had lots and lots of junk on hand to fill the bags) I will have to spend a whopping dollar tomorrow to finish completely.
Happy December. Let the celebrating begin.